Take a look at historic homes before the tour
Ready to go back in time ?
Fort Collins homes rich in history and unique architectural style will be on display Sept. 17 as part of the Poudre Landmarks Foundations Annual Historic Home Tour.
The tour will include seven stops, with regular favorites like the 1879 Avery House on Mountain Avenue and the city’s historic 1883 Water Works building on the North Overland Trail. But this year will also mark a leap into the mid-20th century, with a handful of mid-century homes, a pair of 1950s and 1960s Airstream trailers, and a 1920 Southern mansion-turned-fraternity home that was saved in the 1970s and moved from College Avenue to a quiet Fort Collins subdivision.
Tickets are $25 in advance or $30 on the day of the visit. They are available for purchase at powderlandmarks.org or at the following locations: Ace Hardware of Fort Collins, 1001 E. Harmony Road; Downtown Ace Hardware, 215 S. College Ave.; The Closet, 152 S. College Ave.; Josephs’ Hardware and Home Center, 2160 W. Drake Road, or The Perennial Gardener and Sense of Place, 154 and 160 N. College Ave.
Here are some of the stops on this year’s tour.
The Shaw House, 1508 Buckeye Street.
Southern antebellum architecture meets a 1960s Fort Collins subdivision with The Shaw House – a stately two-story Classic Revival home with Doric columns in the Prospect Estates neighborhood. So why is this classic home tucked away on an unassuming housing estate street? Well, it hasn’t always been there. The 1920 home was originally built at 1325 S. College Ave. by lawyer MH Shaw, with its architecture serving as a nod to his wife’s Southern roots. After changing hands a few times, the house was finally sold to Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity in 1948 and served as the chapter house until the early 1970s. Although it was nearly demolished in 1974, the Local couple Harry and Evie McCabe stepped in to buy and move the house to its current location.
Source: Bill Whitley and the Landmarks Powder Foundation
The Johnston House, 1432 Meeker Drive
Billed as a “mid-century mashup”, this three-level house was built by Mr. and Mrs. Dick Johnston in 1964. But despite its mid-century construction date, the Powder Landmarks Foundation points out that three-level houses levels originated in the 1930s as architects looked to design more compact housing on smaller lots. After World War II, the tri-level took off in the United States, serving as the anchor house design in subdivisions across the country. While home to modern updates, the Johnston House still has some remnants of its original design, including its 1960s two-sided fireplace and geometric brick exterior patterns.
Source: Robin Stitzel and the Landmarks Powder Foundation
The Riffenburgh Residence, 1424 Meeker Drive
The Johnston House isn’t the only mid-century offering on this year’s historic home tour. In fact, it’s not even the only featured house on Meeker Drive – there are actually four. The Riffenburgh Residence was designed and built at 1424 Meeker Drive for attorney Waldo Riffenburgh – the namesake of nearby Riffenburgh Elementary School – and his wife, Pearl, in 1963. After several modifications in the 1980s and 1990s , the current owners of the house have worked to bring it back to its mid-century roots.
Source: Jodie Chamberlain and the Landmarks Powder Foundation
A pair of Airstream trailers will also be on display as part of this year’s tour. Janell Prussman’s 1950 Flying Cloud Airstream and 1961 Tradewind Airstream serve as little mid-century time capsules. While the 1950 trailer has been refurbished and the 1961 one has also been updated, Prussman still has written records from the first owner of the 1961 trailer, including a typed journal of his cross-country travels.