Eight buildings featured in the 27th Annual Christmas Home Tour
The 27th Annual Christmas Home Tour, sponsored by the Tuscarawas County Heritage Home Association, will be held from noon to 5 p.m. on December 12.
Locations are all in New Philadelphia and Dover this year. They are close enough that people have time to visit the Victorian Reeves Museum in Dover, which will be open until 7 p.m. with discounted entry of $ 3 that day alone.
Tickets for the tour go on sale Nov. 22 on the organization’s website at wwwtuschha.org and at Linn-Hert-Geib Funeral Homes in Dover and New Philadelphia, First National Bank, Dennison only and at Pam’s Posies at 732. Boulevard, Dover.
Tickets are $ 15 on presale and $ 20 at the door. There is a limited number of tickets. Tour participants can go in any order to see the sites, and they are asked to wear shoes that can be easily removed if they do not want to wear shoe covers in homes. Masks are mandatory on the sites.
Buildings on the tour this year include:
â¢ Trinity Episcopal Church, 122 Third St. NW, New Philadelphia. The Episcopal Church of the Trinity was built in 1902 and is built in red sandstone quarried near Strasbourg. Gothic in design, it resembles common English rural churches. The Trinity Pipe Organ was built in 1926 by the Schantz Organ Co. in Orrville. The toilets are here and the cookies are on the lower level.
â¢ Jonathan Gentsch and Ted Hamilton Home, 320 Fair Ave. NW, New Philadelphia. This red-brick, Italian-style building was built in 1864 by Franklin C. Miller, a successful pharmacist from O’Donnell & Miller, who later became FC Miller & Sons of New Philadelphia. The addition of 318 addresses to the house was built approximately 20 years later in a Victorian style.
â¢ Carl and Robin Mackey Home, 631 E. High Ave, New Philadelphia. This one-of-a-kind Georgian colonial brick home was built in 1928 with over 3,700 square feet of living space. It consists of four bedrooms, 2 Â½ baths, a two-story fireplace, an updated kitchen with easy access to the formal dining room, two solariums – one with a custom bar and the other with French doors leading to the back yard.
â¢ David and Liz Hipp Home, 705 E. High Ave., New Philadelphia. This Georgian colonial-style house was built in 1919 for Alfred and Mary Hert. Alfred was a partner of the Linn-Hert Furniture Co. and what is now known as Linn-Hert-Geib Funeral Home, both in Dover and New Philadelphia. The house was sold by the Herts in 1965.
â¢ Rick and Sue Sattler House, 1416 E. High Ave., New Philadelphia. This house is a fine example of neo-colonial design. The two-story house was built in 1927 on land that was part of the Rutledge Addition. In 1999, an addition to the home was completed (built by Joe Martinelli and Meese Cabinetry) which includes a kitchen, family room with gas fireplace and solarium. The 1927 portion of the four-bedroom home still retains the original hardwood floors, archways, painted woodwork and doors, fireplace, glass doorknobs, and French doors.
â¢ Around the Corner Frames / Tusc Arts Co-op, 207 S. Broadway, New Philadelphia. Around the Corner Frames and the Tusc Arts Cooperative Shop are located on a site that has housed businesses since the 1870s. The Sharp Manufacturing Co. and Foundry began in the 1870s and was located here until 1936-37 when the store Gibson Brothers Auto Supply has taken over. In 1951, Cappel Auto Sales occupied the building for 20 years, followed by 5 years by the Premier Lincoln Mercury. The showroom and sales offices were where the gallery and picture shop are now located.
â¢ Ian Wambodt & Nathan Paternoster Home, 517 E. Iron Ave., Dover. This well-constructed artisan style four square house has many fine dots within its walls. It was built by John Phillips (nephew of Jane and Jeremiah Reeves) and his wife Daisy between 1912 and 1914 in Reeves, second addition to Dover. It is best highlighted inside by quarter-sawn oak paneling. The house has retained many of the original details including the original bathroom light fixtures, dining room chandelier and dresser, bedroom wall sconces, light fixtures, doors and windows and the beautiful soils.
â¢ Shirley Schumacher House, 606 N. Wooster Ave., Dover. The Joseph Slingluff House is a historic Italianate house and was built in 1866 to serve as the residence of the first mayor of Dover (Joseph Slingluff). The house is both a heritage house and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It has two marble fireplaces, cut stone window hoods, 10 foot ceilings, a wraparound porch and a library to enjoy a good book on a winter day.