Follow Us On Facebook

Troup County, Georgia

EAST DEPOT HIGH SCHOOL

EAST DEPOT HIGH SCHOOL

Location: Intersection of E. Depot and Daniel Street, LaGrange, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1997
Erected by Alumni of East Depot High School, Troup County Historical Society, and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1997.

East Depot High School, constructed in 1923, began in 1866 as LaGrange Academy. East Depot provide education for African-Americans in LaGrange. The school produced many outstanding alumni with careers in education, business, law, medicine, religion, science, the arts, government and the Armed Forces. EDHS closed in 1970 when it merged into LaGrange High School. Graduates will always remember their pride in "The Wolverines" and the dedicated service of the educators.

FULLER EARLE CALLAWAY, SR.

FULLER EARLE CALLAWAY, SR.

Location: At the courthouse, LaGrange, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1986
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Troup County Historical Society, 1986.

Fuller Earle Callaway, Sr.
Born in LaGrange July 15, 1870, Fuller E. Callaway was a textile manufacturer, merchant, and philanthropist. In 1888, he established his first business on LaFayette Square just west of this point. Organizing and operating textile mills, banks, warehouses and department stores, Callaway helped modernize LaGrange's economy. Examples of his concern for the social and educational development of employees and residents can be found throughout LaGrange and the State of Georgia. When he died in 1928, Callaway was one of the world's leading textile manufacturers.

GEORGE MICHAEL TROUP

GEORGE MICHAEL TROUP

Location: On the lawn of the Troup County Courthouse, LaGrange, GA
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1980
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Ocfuskee Historical Society, 1980.

George Michael Troup was born September 8, 1780 and died April 26, 1856. During Troup's tenure as Governor of Georgia (1823-1827), Troup County was created on December 16, 1826. Boundaries of original Troup County extended from the Flint River on the east to the Chattahoochee River on the west. East and southern boundaries were reduced on December 24, 1827, to its approximate present size. Governor Troup was buried in Montgomery County, Georgia. He was twice married and father of six children.

HORACE KING - BRIDGE BUILDER

HORACE KING - BRIDGE BUILDER

Location: Greenville Street at King Street, LaGrange, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1989
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Troup County Historical Society, 1989.

Horace King - Bridge Builder
Born a slave September 8, 1807, Horace King became a noted builder of covered bridges and public buildings. His talents developed under the instruction of his master and friend, John Godwin. In 1846, Godwin secured King's freedom through the Alabama Legislature. King used the Town lattice truss design on bridges throughout the South. With his sons, he built at least four bridges across the Chattahoochee River in Troup County. King served two terms in the Alabama Legislature before moving to LaGrange in 1873. He lived with his family in the King Street area which was named for King and son, Marshall. King died May 28, 1885 and is buried near the Confederate Cemetery on Miller Street.

JONES CROSSROADS

JONES CROSSROADS

Location: Highway 219 & 18 Intersection, West Point, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1994
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Troup County Historical Society, 1994.

Jones Crossroads
Troup and Harris County residents first settled at the crossroads of the LaGrange-Whitesville-Columbus Stagecoach route and the West Point to King's Gap Road in the late 1820's. Named for local landowner, Christopher Columbus Jones (1831-1904 and his son Monroe, Jones Crossroads once had several flourishing businesses, including a cotton gin, a racehorse track, a tavern, and a U.S. post office called Paulina. Monroe Jones established the rock store in 1903 which members of the Avery Family have owned and operated since the 1920's. Just south of here is Union Baptist Church, established in 1838, and the site of Union Academy and the Jessie Wisdom Institute.

TENTH STREET SCHOOL

TENTH STREET SCHOOL

Marker Dedication or Erection Date: June 22, 2004
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The Charter Foundation and Alumni of Tenth Street School, 2004.

Constructed in 1931, Tenth Street School provided an education for African-Americans in all grades. Over the years, graduates distinguished themselves in education, law, medicine, religion, government, and military. In 1956, a new school was built for high school students and Tenth Street became an elementary school. In 1970, Tenth Street was integrated to serve all West Point students, grades four through seven. Students were transferred in the mid-1970s to the former Harrison High and the school was demolished. Alumni are forever indebted to the principals and teachers who gave them a start at Tenth Street School.

TROUP ACADEMY

TROUP ACADEMY

Location: Intersection of Morgan Street and New Franklin Road, LaGrange, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1995
Erected by the Troup County Historical Society, the Key Club of Troup High School, and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1995.

Troup Academy
The first school in Troup County opened in LaGrange in 1828, just months after the county's organization. Located just east of this spot, Troup Academy shared the lot with Hill View Cemetery. The county owned the building while a Board of Trustees operated the Boys School. State money, called Poor School Funds, supplemented tuition at Troup and LaGrange Female Academies. The City of LaGrange bought and moved the school to Hill Street in 1838, renamed it LaGrange High School and began using these grounds exclusively as a cemetery. Noted early teachers included Orville A. Bull and Blount C. Ferrell.

TROUP FACTORY

TROUP FACTORY

Location: Flat Shoals Creek on U.S. Highway 27, ten miles south of LaGrange, GA
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1980
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980.

Troup Factory, first cotton mill in Troup County, Georiga, was established in 1846 on Flat Shoals Creek by Robertson, Leslie & Co., of Meriwether County. Water powered carding, spinning and weaving, in a massive four-storied mill, produced famed quality sheetings and osnaburgs until 1899. In 1902, L. M. Park bought and removed the mill to LaGrange. Maxey Brooks (1796-1861), pioneer millwright, built an important gristmill on the site in 1829 and sold it to the Company in 1846.

WILLIAM HOGAN PLANTATION

WILLIAM HOGAN PLANTATION

Location: Main Street, just northeast of Maple Street at cemetery, Hogansville, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: November 9, 1986
Erected by the Troup County Historical Society and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1986.

William Hogan, born January 20, 1804, established a plantation in the 1830's encompassing much of the present town of Hogansville. When he gave the right-of-way to the railroad in 1849, he stipulated that a depot be built where the railroad crossed the old Augusta highway. Following his death in 1861, his son-in-law John Pullin sold the land for business and residential use. Hogansville was chartered in 1870. The Victorian house southwest of the cemetery occupies almost the same spot as the original Hogan house which burned in 1899. The existing house was built by Hogan's granddaughter, Eugenia Pullin Word, in 1901.