Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Color has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/templates/rt_ximenia/features/color.php on line 11
Randolph County History | Historic Chattahoochee Trace | Alabama Historic Areas | Georgia Historic Areas
Follow Us On Facebook

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgContentJw_allvideos has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/plugins/content/jw_allvideos/jw_allvideos.php on line 18

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgContentembed_google_map has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/plugins/content/embed_google_map/embed_google_map.php on line 21

Randolph County, Georgia

FREDERIC DAVIS PATTERSON, M.D. APRIL 16,1867-DEC 31, 1930/PATTERSON HOSPITAL

FREDERIC DAVIS PATTERSON, M.D. APRIL 16,1867-DEC 31, 1930/PATTERSON HOSPITAL

Location: 202 Pine Street, Cuthbert, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 1985
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the City of Cuthbert, Randolph County Commission, Randolph Historical Society, 1985.

SIDE 1:
Frederic Davis Patterson, M.D. April 16,1867-Dec 31, 1930
Dr. Fred Patterson was born in Stewart Co., GA., attended South Georgia Agriculture College, Cuthbert, graduated Vanderbilt University School of Medicine 1890. He practiced in Lumpkin four years before moving to Cuthbert in 1894. Here he used his extraordinary medical abilities and human concern to bandage skinned knees or perform difficult surgical procedures with anesthetist Dr. Francis Martin, of Shellman. He held offices in and was honored by the American Medical Association, the Medical Association of Georgia and the Second District Medical Society which he organized.

SIDE 2:
Patterson Hospital
On this site, in this house, Dr. Frederic Patterson established the first hospital in this section of Georgia, January, 1916. It contained an operating room and four beds for inpatients. Joined by his nephew, Dr. J.C. Patterson, they moved the hospital to the Rumph House October 1919. They later bought the old two-story schoolhouse and moved the hospital there December, 1925. Fire destroyed this building on the night of February 19, 1946. Dr. J.C. Patterson returned to the Rumph House and began construction on the present hospital which opened on July 1, 1947.

HENDERSON HOME

HENDERSON HOME

Location: 1016 Andrew Street, Cuthbert, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: September 27, 1986
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Friends of the Henderson Family, 1986.

Henderson Home
Fletcher H. Henderson (1857-1943), pioneer Georgia educator, built this home in 1888 and lived here until his death. Principal of nearby Howard Normal-Randolph School 1880-1942, his contributions to education won professional recognition and enriched the lives of a multiple of students. Fletcher Henderson, Jr. (1897-1952), born here, developed one of the earliest "Big Bands." A pianist and composer, he was a pioneer in "swing" music. He was Down Beat Magazine Arranger of the Year in 1938 and 1940. The Hendersons are buried near here in Greenwood Cemetery.

OLD CARNEGIE LIBRARY

OLD CARNEGIE LIBRARY

Location: Corner of North Lumpking Street and Pearl, Cuthbert, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 2001
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Randolph Historical Society, 2001.

SIDE 1:
Old Carnegie Library
The first formal meeting to organize a library association was held at Andrew College in April 1878 with Dr. A. L. Hamilton presiding. The thirteen members of the Cuthbert Library Club offered their book collections, and Judge John T. Clark offered space in his office for the headquarters. The Cuthbert Book Club, operating from 1905-1905, was the next library organization. In 1917, a library board consisting of Mrs. J. B. Bussey, Chair; Mrs. Julian B. Edings, Mrs. John D. Gunn, Mrs. Charlie Harris, Mrs. G. Y. Moore, A. A. Lockett, A. C. Moye, B. B. Teabeaut and E. C. Teel was appointed to work with the Cuthbert Woman's Club to secure funding from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation.

SIDE 2:
Old Carnegie Library
To raise the matching funds, the Cuthbert Woman's Club spearheaded the effort by having oyster suppers, a womanless wedding, turkey dinners, and ice cream festivals. The first brick was laid on October 17, 1917. On September 5, 1918, the debt was cleared, and the library was officially dedicated. Emily Hillyer Owen became the first librarian. The next librarian, Ida Domingos, served for 27 years. The Carnegie Library Building became the Randolph Chamber of Commerce headquarters in 1997 when the new building was built.

SITE OF FIRST CHURCH BUILDING IN CUTHBERT, GEORGIA

SITE OF FIRST CHURCH BUILDING IN CUTHBERT, GEORGIA

Location: Rosedale Cemetery, off U.S. Highway 82 East, Cuthbert, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: August 24, 1980
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Randolph County Historical Society, 1980.

Site of First Church Building in Cuthbert, Georgia
The first church building in Cuthbert was erected on this site in 1839. Deacons Stephen Lundy and Allen Moye bought this lot from Jane Reynolds in 1837. The congregation of Mt. Zion Baptist Church, constituted in 1831, moved from their former location on Eufaula Road and constructed a frame building 30 feet by 40 feet with glass windows. In 1852 a new church was built facing College Street and renamed Cuthbert Baptist Church.

SITE OF FIRST RANDOLPH COUNTY COURTHOUSE

SITE OF FIRST RANDOLPH COUNTY COURTHOUSE

Location: Town Square, Cuthbert, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: March 28, 1980
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Randolph County Historical Society, 1980.

Site of First Randolph County Courthouse
The area of this Square marks the site of the first and second courthouses of Randolph County. The first, a two-story frame building, was erected in 1836. It was replaced in 1842 by a brick structure with entrances facing in four directions. A high fence with four stiles enclosed the area. When the present courthouse, one block north, was completed in 1886, this "old courthouse lot" was conveyed to the City of Cuthbert "for use as a public park forever."