Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Color has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/templates/rt_ximenia/features/color.php on line 11
Quitman County History | Historic Chattahoochee Trace | Alabama Historic Areas | Georgia Historic Areas
Follow Us On Facebook

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgContentJw_allvideos has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/plugins/content/jw_allvideos/jw_allvideos.php on line 18

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgContentembed_google_map has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/plugins/content/embed_google_map/embed_google_map.php on line 21

Quitman County, Georgia

GEORGETOWN HIGH SCHOOL/ALMA MATER

GEORGETOWN HIGH SCHOOL/ALMA MATER

Location: West side of US Highway 82 in Georgetown, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 1993
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Georgetown High School Alumni, 1993.

SIDE 1:
Georgetown High School
A memorial to our beloved Alma Mater. Georgetown High School was established and graduated the first class in 1926. It became accredited in 1932 and continued annual graduations under this name through 1971. The life of the school was less than half a century. In this brief time, from her halls walked many graduates filled with knowledge, integrity and patriotism to pass on for generations. In the grand auditorium students learned to love God, their country and their school. Though with doors closed, these values echoed within her walls until the building was destroyed by fire in July 1990.

SIDE 2:
Alma Mater
Hail to thee, our Alma Mater Hail to Georgetown High. May she never be forgotten as the days pass by. She's the best--we'll always hail her--she will never die. Hail to thee our Alma Mater, Dear old Georgetown High. Written by Class of 1941 SUPERINTENDENTS OF THE SCHOOL: Henry M. Kaigler Ralph M. Balkcom, Sr. Frances K. House George M. Phillips

QUITMAN COUNTY'S OLD JAIL

QUITMAN COUNTY'S OLD JAIL

Location: U.S. Highway 82 in front of the Quitman County Courthouse, Georgetown, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: May 18, 1980
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980.

Quitman County's Old Jail
The original jail was a wood structure built in 1859. It was replaced in 1891 with this brick structure which is typical of rural jails built during this period in southeast Alabama and southwest Georgia counties. The Commissioners in 1890-1891 were: J. E. Harris, Dr. F. M. Bledsoe, J. P. Kimble and W. A. Cumbie. Judge of Superior Court: James H. Guerry; Ordinary: M. L. Albritton; Clerk of Court: G. A. Whitaker; Quitman County's first sheriff was Sam Guerry.

 

UNION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

UNION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

Location: On Lumpkin Road from Morris, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: January 1, 1980
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980.

SIDE 1:
UNION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Organized as a non-denominational church in 1837, Union United Methodist Church is the oldest church in Quitman County. Thirty-four charter members constituted its initial membership. Among them were Mrs. George Ellis, the first charter member, and Mrs. Adelyn Lee Crumbley, who donated the land for the original church. The present 1867 structure replaces the original log building. Trustees in 1867 were: Abraham Shields, John Phillips, Thomas S. Bryant, James W. Lewis, and James Suggs.

SIDE 2:
UNION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
The church building is surrounded by a cemetery. The oldest marked graves date from the 1850's. The present land was purchased from J. J. Crumbley and the deed was recorded in 1865. Homemade church benches are still in use. The communion table, assembled with pegs by Jehu Phillips, was used until the 1960's. Union Church is in the Georgetown charge and remains active.