Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Color has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/templates/rt_ximenia/features/color.php on line 11
Chattahoochee County History | Historic Chattahoochee Trace | Alabama Historic Areas | Georgia Historic Areas
Follow Us On Facebook

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgContentJw_allvideos has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/plugins/content/jw_allvideos/jw_allvideos.php on line 18

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; plgContentembed_google_map has a deprecated constructor in /home/hooch/public_html/plugins/content/embed_google_map/embed_google_map.php on line 21
CHATTAHOOCHEE COUNTY JAIL

CHATTAHOOCHEE COUNTY JAIL

Location: Mt. Olive & Boyd Street in Cusseta, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: September 14, 2002
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and the Chattahoochee County Historic Preservation Society 2002.

SIDE 1:
Constructed in 1902, this two-story fireproof facility was built to replace the previous two-story log jail. The Pauly Jail and Manufacturing Company of St. Louis, Missouri constructed the jail for $5,000. Romanesque influences such as the arched windows and door openings with an extended central bay enhance the exterior appearance of the building. The original prefabricated iron cells, with unique corner fireplaces, are located on the second floor. The jail served the county until 1975. It was placed on the National Register of HistoricPlaces on March 13, 1986.

SIDE 2:
CHATTAHOOCHEE COUNTY JAIL
This jail is situated on property that was purchased soon after the county was created on February 13, 1854. Mr. Asbury Bryan was paid $1,250 for the original two-story log jail that was completed by July 20, 1855, under the supervision of Sheriff Silas Brown. The dimensions of the log structure were eighteen by twenty-two feet with fifteen inches separating the double walls. The jail was used continuously until the new facility was completed in 1902. At that time LaFayette Harp served as sheriff.

CUSSETA INDUSTRIAL HIGH (ROSENWALD) SCHOOL

CUSSETA INDUSTRIAL HIGH (ROSENWALD) SCHOOL

Location: 113 Sandy Street, Cusseta, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: June 15, 2013

Cusseta Industrial High School was built in 1929-1930 using funds from the local African-American community and the Rosenwald Trust Fund. The school was built according to the fund's standardized plans for efficient, accessible educational facilities for African-Americans across the South. It was the only high school in Chattahoochee County serving African-American students until its closure in 1958. Mr. G.W. King was the last superintendant and Mrs. Ione Mulkey the last principal. The school was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2011.

(REVERSE)

Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, the Chattahoochee County Historic Preservation Society, and the following school alumni: Corene McCray Averett, Rev. Jesse Averett Jr., James Averett, Lucy Averett Baldwin, Leonard Brown, Eddie James Buckner, Dr. Mildred Battle Gardner, Johnny Gardner Jr., Raiford McCray, Geraldine Averett Parris, Ester Pearson, Norris Pearson, Estelle Brown Robinson, Rev. Andrew Thomas, Edward James Thornton, Amanda Averett Thornton, Rev. Andy M. Thornton.

CUSSETA SCHOOL

CUSSETA SCHOOL

Location: Kasihta Park, Broad Street, Cusseta, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: March 19, 2007
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Chattahoochee County Historical Society, and Cusseta High School Alumni and Friends 2006.

On this site, a brick school building was erected in 1911 on land purchased from G. W. King, Sr. A resolution was passed on June 6, 1922 to consolidate Big Sandy, Liberty Hill, Renfroe, and Providence Schools with Cusseta. In 1929, all high schools were transferred to Cusseta. Two classrooms were added in 1924 and in 1930. In 1935-1936, a gymnasium with two rooms and a lunchroom, a two-room agricultural building, two rest rooms and shower baths were added. The wooden auditorium, upstairs, was converted into four rooms. In 1938, electric lights were installed and most of the building as renovated. The school was destroyed by fire in 1969.

DWIGHT DAVID EISENHOWER

DWIGHT DAVID EISENHOWER

Location: Located at Austin Loop and Vibbert Avenue, Fort Benning, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: April 20, 1990
Erected by the AUSA and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1990.

SIDE 1:
October 14, 1890-March 28, 1969
The 34th President of the United States, Dwight D. Eisenhower, lived with his family at 206 Austin Loop, while stationed at Fort Benning as a major from 1926-1927. During that time, he served as executive office of the 24th Infantry and commanded the 2nd Battalion. He also coached the Fort Benning Doughboy football team to an all-Army championship. Dwight D. Eisenhower was born to Ida and David Eisenhower in Denison Texas on October 14, 1890. In 1891, he and his family moved to Abilene, Kansas. He was assigned to Fort Sam Houston, Texas, where he met and married Mamie Geneva Doud in 1916.

SIDE 2:
DWIGHT DAVID EISENHOWER
October 14, 1890-March 28, 1969
By 1918, Eisenhower was a lieutenant colonel battalion commander, but two years later as a captain, in a small peace-time Army, he nearly go out when not selected to attend the Infantry Officer's Course. He did attend Command and General Staff School, and was first in his class. During WWII, he commanded the Allied invasion of North Africa, the Italian Campaign, and all Allied expeditionary forces during the June 6, 1944 Normandy Invasion. After the war, he served as Chief of Staff of the Army and Supreme Commander of NATO. He was inaugurated as President in 1953, and served two terms. He died in Walter Reed Army Medical Center, March 28, 1969.

FORT BENNING-STATION HOSPITAL/NATIONAL INFANTRY MUSEUM

FORT BENNING-STATION HOSPITAL/NATIONAL INFANTRY MUSEUM

Location: In front of the National Infantry Museum, Baltzell Avenue, Fort Benning, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: March 31, 1982
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980

SIDE 1:
FORT BENNING-STATION HOSPITAL
In 1923, the U.S. Congress appropriated funds for the erection of a hospital at Fort Benning. The hospital complex, consisting of ten buildings, was opened in 1925. During World War Two as many as 36, 000 wounded per year received care at this facility. In 1951, during the Korean War, 25, 000 casualties were treated. Following the 1958 opening of a new hospital this complex served as and outpatient clinic until 1975 when the main building was designated the permanent home of the National Infantry Museum.

SIDE 2:
NATIONAL INFANTRY MUSEUM
The National Infantry Museum was established here at the U.S. Army's Infantry Center in October 1959. The purpose of the Museum is to honor the infantryman and his more that two centuries of proud service to the nation. The Museum also reflects the history of Fort Benning which was established October 1918. The collection is comprised of weapons, uniforms and accouterments used by the U.S. infantrymen is each of our military engagements. Foreign artifacts as well as military related objects of art are also on display. The Doughboy - Dog Faced Soldier – Infantryman. The Museum is dedicated to his honor.

FORT BENNING/FORT BENNING MILITARY RESERVATION

FORT BENNING/FORT BENNING MILITARY RESERVATION

Location: In front of the VIP Headquarters, Richardson Circle, Fort Benning, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: March 31, 1982
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, 1980.

SIDE 1:
FORT BENNING
Kasihta or Cusseta Town, an important Creek Nation market, played a part in American Revolutionary affairs. In 1780 British Colonel John Tate recruited a large force of local Indians for duty with the British in their defense of Augusta, Georgia. Colonel Tate became ill during the march to Augusta; was returned to Kasihta; died, and was buried on what is now the Fort Benning Military Reservation.

SIDE 2:
FORT BENNING MILITARY RESERVATION
Established following World War One, this post occupies former Indian lands sold during the Georgia Land Lottery of 1827. John Woolfolk consolidated small land holdings in 1843. Benjamin Hatcher acquired the property in 1883. Arthur Bussey purchased the plantation in 1907, selling it to the Federal Government in 1919. Benning now occupies some 180,000 acres in Georgia and Alabama, most of which are in Chattahoochee County.

POST HEADQUARTERS - JAG 1911-2009

POST HEADQUARTERS - JAG 1911-2009

Location: 6970 Vibbert Avenue, Fort Benning, Georgia
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: May 20, 2010
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Environmental Managment Division, Fort Benning 2010

SIDE 1:
On this site stood Building 5, the first permanent Post HQ building and later the Judge Advocate General (JAG) Building. Built in 1911 as a dairy creamery, it became the Officers' Mess in 1919. In 1924 it became the Post HQ, headed by the Garrison Commander. Major tenants included: Infantry School HQ (until 1935), General Staff, Chaplain, legal offices, and Infantry Test Board. In 1964 Post HQ relocated and it became the JAG Building. From 1948 to 2009, thousands of courts-martial were held here, including U.S. v. Calley (1971).

SIDE 2:
Building 5 expanded several times during its 98-year existence. The 1911 creamery was a 50 x 75 foot brick building for a dairy farm. In 1925, as Post HQ, a second brick building with a connecting corridor was added. WWII mobilization required more floor space. In 1943, the brick buildings were merged and a large wing added, tripling the building's size. A courtroom was built within the wing in 1948. The building was destroyed by arson on Feb. 6, 2009.

THE INFANTRY BOARD

THE INFANTRY BOARD

Location: In front of Building 76, Anderson Street, Fort Benning, Georgia.
Marker Dedication or Erection Date: 1991.
Erected by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission and Fort Benning Infantry Board, 1991.

SIDE 1:
On 15 December 1919, War Department Orders established the Infantry Board as a development and testing laboratory with permanent station at Fort Benning, Georgia. The Board's mission was to consider, with continuity of effort the improvement of the Infantry. The history of the Infantry Board has been coincident with that of the Infantry Center and Fort Benning, "The Home of the Infantry".

SIDE 2:
THE INFANTRY BOARD
From its very beginning, the Infantry Board was concerned with everything the Infantry Soldier used. Whether he shot it, rode in it, slept in it, ate it, wore it, or used it to accomplish his tactical missions, the Infantryman operating under combat conditions used products that had been tested by the Infantry Board. In consonance with its mission, the Infantry Board's motto was "ONLY THE BEST FOR THE FINEST!" From 1946 to 1991 the Infantry Board was headquartered in Building 76, on Anderson Street. The Infantry Board was discontinued effective 23 March 1991.